Monday, February 7, 2011

R-O-U-T-I-N-E...This Is What It Means To Me

I just need to take a few moments this morning to vent a little of my frustration.  It is aimed at no one.  These lamentations are just parts of our life.  But geez, how it can get so tiresome. 

Hayden started the school year ready to go.  She really, really liked school and we were so excited about it.  She had a paraprofessional that she formed a routine with, a very caring and wonderful set of teachers, and she just enjoyed learning! 

Her para got a new job and so left the school a couple of days before the end of the semester.  Upon returning to school, post-Christmas break, Hayden had a new para and the arduous task of getting back into the swing of things.  The first week back went OK.  There were some bumps but overall, it looked good for Operation Get-Back-On-Track. Then, she got sick. 

First, it was a stomach bug that reared it's ugly head all over our bed in the wee hours of a Sunday morning.  She stayed home that Monday to recoup.  Then, due to snow, school was cancelled on Tuesday.  She was back in school on Wednesday but then developed croup that night (as it somehow ALWAYS happens at night) and was out again on Thursday and Friday--we were in the doctor's office on Friday to avoid any late-night/early-morning E.R. visits.  We got a much-needed nebulizer for times like these and seemed to be on the road to recovery.  But alas, it was not to be.

We had a long weekend (out of school on the 17th for MLK, Jr. Day).  She was back in school on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, but started running a fever on Thursday night so we were back in the doctor's office on Friday, this time, as it turned out, for strep.  So we were sent home with antibiotics and a prescription for rest.

She was back in school on the 24th, 25th, & 26th (Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, respectively) but kept coughing and coughing and were BACK in the doctor's office AGAIN on Thursday, the 27th.  This time, we had a chest x-ray, a nasal sinus x-ray, and a blood test for mono--which tested positive.  And the nasal sinus x-ray showed that she had been suffering from a chronic sinus infection!  We were given even stronger antibiotics and even more instructions to rest.  At this point, I decided that the next week, Hayden would go half-days to help her get well and transition slowly because of all the sickness she had been undergoing.  That, and her days at school had not been very good, partly from missing for this, that, and the other; and partly because she was still getting used to her normal routine and her new para.

So, she went half-day on Monday.  It worked out well and even though drop-off was awful, I felt like the extra rest would really make a difference.  And then it snowed.  It snowed like snow was going out of style.  And we were out not 1, not 2, not 3 but FOUR days.  On one hand, it was great for Hayden to have some time to just relax and play and be at ease to try and get over the mono.  On the other hand, it was setting us up for an even harder journey to get back into a workable, functional, positive, and effective routine.

So here we are on Monday of a brand new week.  A new start.  Drop-off was again, miserable.  I sat in my car and cried and didn't know how to make it any easier or any better.  I went back in and talked to Hayden's SPED teacher to try and understand.  It helped some.  And I feel encouraged that re-establishing a routine will really help and so consistency with our morning routine and drop-off and going to school are very important.

But there are some hazy clouds on the horizon that make me nervous. She had been recovering--cough almost all gone, appetite returning to normal, energy levels back to near-full capacity.  Her follow-up with the doc went well, this last Thursday.  But that very afternoon, energy dropped again.  She ran a low-grade temp on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Her appetite has gone back down some.  Her cough is back, just a little.  Oh, and we're supposed to get 4 -10 more inches of snow tomorrow and Wednesday.  I'm hoping the illness factor is just the mono and that more rest is what we need.  Snow days provide that without me having to keep her home from school but that means that we have to delay a return to routine even more. 

So I am lamenting.  And I'm frustrated.  And while I can adapt and go with the flow on this, Hayden cannot.  So my prayer is that somehow, our routine can get back on track and soon. I also pray that Hayden would stop getting sick!  We could really use your prayers, too.  We love you all and hope that you're all staying warm and cozy during this crazy winter!  Much love and thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I am sorry Jillie that Hayden has been sick. We are praying that this course of antibx's will get rid of her sinus infection. Mono just takes time. I had it once and didn't feel well for about 4 weeks. I hope it doesn't drag on that long but if it does, her immunce system must have been drained. Does she eat vitamins? Vitamins are good.

    I wish I was with you guys and we could make it a SNOW Vacation. Snow icecream every day we were snowed in. I wish it would warm up alittle so you could go sleding. 3 degrees even for 10 minutes is way too cold. Maybe you could cook some cup cakies together. Hayden LOVES to decorate. I love cup cakies! Pretty white, fluffy cakie with piles of creamy,melt-in-your-mouth icing on the top and lots of sprinkles....

    Have a lovely, Snow vacation day!
    Uv u